High School Counselor Checklist for College Planning
Planning for college is extremely important for students as they progress through high school. Because students depend on you to help guide them through this process, we have created this checklist for you to use as students consider Cameron University as their university home.
- Begin researching universities, requesting information, visiting websites, attending college fairs, and on-campus preview days.
- Students should be encouraged to take the PSAT during the fall and the ACT and/or SAT in the spring of the year.
- Meet with students to review courses and credits, college information, and senior year classes to ensure curriculum requirements are met for schools they are considering.
- Remind students to continue with college preparation and plans throughout the summer.
- Encourage students to take the ACT or SAT early in the fall if they did not take it during their junior year. Students should also continue to take the ACT or SAT if they want to improve their test scores.
- Meet with students to discuss college plans and review application deadlines and requirements.
- If a student is applying to a university that requires an essay with the admissions form, remind students to finalize those essays.
- Help students locate websites for researching scholarship opportunities.
- Review college entrance essays.
- Finalize recommendation letters requested by students.
- Encourage students to send in their applications for admissions early or submit them online.
- Send transcripts and letters of recommendation.
- Help students with scholarship applications.
- Remind students to complete and submit their applications for housing.
- Encourage students to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Send seven semester partial high school transcripts to colleges who have requested them.
- Encourage students to visit their top college choices.
- Remind students to confirm their intent to enroll or send regrets to colleges as soon as possible, as well as returning any scholarship acceptance and rejection forms.
- Encourage students to register for an orientation program.
- Send final high school transcripts.
- Relax and enjoy the summer!