AKD stands for Alpha Kappa Delta, a non-secret, democratic, international society of scholars dedicated to the ideal of Athropon Katamannthanein Diakonesin or “to investigate humanity for the purpose of service.”
AKD seeks to acknowledge and promote excellence in scholarship in the study of sociology, the research of social problems, and such other social and intellectual activities as will lead to improvement in the human condition.
- Must be an officially declared sociology major or demonstrate a serious interest in sociology within the program offered at Cameron University.
- Must be at least a junior (third year) by standards of Cameron University. (Completed at least 60 credit hours)
- Shall rank in the top 35% of their class in general scholarship. If class rank is not readily available to a chapter representative, in lieu of class rank, students shall have accumulated the equivalent of an overall grade point average of at least 3.3 by a four point scale where: A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0.
- Must have maintained the equivalent of a 3.0 GPA in sociology courses taken at Cameron University prior to initiation.
- Must have completed at least four regular courses in sociology prior to initiation (exclusive of extension or courses graded pass/fail).