The Communications Department sponsors a local chapter of Lambda Pi Eta, a national honor fraternity for Communications majors. Dr. Ron Price is the chapter sponsor.
The name "Lambda Pi Eta" represents what Aristotle described in his Rhetoric as the three modes of persuasion: Logos meaning logic, Pathos relating to emotion, and Ethos defined as character credibility and ethics. Lambda Pi Eta was initiated by the students of the Department of Communication at the University of Arkansas and was then endorsed by the faculty and founder, Dr. Stephen A. Smith in 1985. The Speech Communication Association established Lambda Pi Eta as a national student honorary in 1988.
- To recognize, foster and reward outstanding scholastic achievement
- To stimulate interest in the field of communication studies
- To promote and encourage professional development among communication majors
- To establish and maintain closer relationships and understanding between faculty and students
- To explore options for further graduate study
Membership in Lambda Pi Eta attests to your academic excellence and commitment to the field of communication. These factors are highly regarded by graduate school admission committees and prospective employers.
Lambda Pi Eta facilitates scholastic recognition for the undergraduate student communication major.
There are four steps in joining a chapter of Lambda Pi Eta.
- Have an active interest in joining an honorary fraternity
- Meet academic requirements
- Be approved by faculty membership committee
- Pay a one time fee of $30.00
For membership inquiries, contact Dr. Ron Price.
All Communication majors are eligible to become members of Lambda Pi Eta. Honorary Members must: have completed 60 semester hours of undergraduate credits, have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0, have completed the equivalent of 12 semester hours in communication courses, have a minimum GPA of 3.25 in those courses, and be currently enrolled as a student in good standing.
Lambda Pi Eta provides for its new members:
- Personalized Honor Member certificates.
- Lambda Pi Eta Member lapel pin.
- Access to Lambda Pi Eta merchandise: T-shirts, caps, decals, etc.
- Eligibility for association awards.