Financial Assistance - Grants

Grants at Cameron University

Cameron University offers both Federal and State Grant assistance. All grants are based on financial need. Students need to complete the FAFSA to be considered for grant assistance.

Federal Pell Grant

What is a Pell Grant?

The Federal Pell Grant is based on financial need. Unlike a loan, it does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are only awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree. For many students, Pell Grants provide a foundation of financial aid to which other aid may be added.

How do I qualify?

To determine if you are eligible, the U.S. Department of Education uses a standard formula, established by Congress, to evaluate the information you reported on the FAFSA. This formula calculates your family's Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The Student Aid Report (SAR) will list your EFC and may indicate whether you could be eligible for the Federal Pell Grant. Our Office will award the Pell Grant based on the level of eligibility determined by your EFC and your enrollment status at Cameron. The maximum award for the 2011-2012 award year is $5,550.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

How do I qualify for SEOG?

A Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need, that is students with the lowest Expected Family Contribution (EFC). At Cameron University students must have a "0" EFC in order to be considered. As well, you must submit your FAFSA no later than the end of February of the preceding academic year in order to be considered (IE: SEOG Awards for 2011-2012 were made in February 2011). The SEOG is like Pell in that it does not have to be repaid.

What is the difference in SEOG and PELL?

The U.S. Department of Education guarantees that each school will receive enough money to pay the Federal Pell Grant to each eligible student attending. However, for SEOG, there is no guarantee for every student that is eligible; students are paid based on availability of funds.

Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant (OTAG)

How do I apply for OTAG?

When you submit a FAFSA application, you will automatically be considered for OTAG eligibility.  Typically, OTAG-eligible applications outnumber OTAG funding availability.  Priority award consideration will apply to applications received by March 1st. All other eligible applications are awarded in descending order of highest need until all funds are committed.

To qualify for OTAG students must:

  • Be an Oklahoma State Resident.
  • If considered dependent on the FAFSA, the parents must be Oklahoma residents.
  • Demonstrate Financial Need as determined on the FAFSA.
  • Be enrolled at least half-time (6 hours).
  • Meet all other eligibility requirements for federal aid.




Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH)

What is a TEACH Grant?

Congress created the TEACH Grant Program through the College Cost Reduction Act of 2007.  The program provides grants of up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families.  If you are interested in learning more about the TEACH Grant program, please read the TEACH Grant Fact Sheet.

You may contact our office to find out what programs of study at Cameron are TEACH Grant eligible.  If you meet the qualification requirements as defined by the Department of Education, we encourage you to submit a TEACH Grant Application to the Office of Financial Assistance.  In addition, you should complete your online TEACH Entrance Counseling Session and Agreement to Serve as outlined in the TEACH Grant Fact Sheet.