Types of Financial Aid

Cameron University is one of the most affordable among Oklahoma colleges and universities.  Even with our affordable tuition and fees and on-campus residential living, many of our students receive financial aid to help fund part or all of their education.  Cameron offers many federal, state and institutional aid programs to assist students in their educational endeavors.  The types and amounts of aid awarded are determined by financial need, student classification, academic merit, talent, and availability of funds.  Financial aid is classified as:


Grants are free money that typically does not have to be repaid.  Grants are normally awarded to students who are determined to have a high financial need based on completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Federal and state formulas determine who can receive these awards.

  • PELL - A federally sponsored program that only awards to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree.  For many students, Pell Grants provide a foundation of financial aid to which other aid may be added.
  • SEOG - (Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant) - A federally sponsored program for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need - students with the lowest Expected Family Contribution (EFC).  At Cameron University, students must have a "0" EFC to be considered.
  • TEACH (Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant) - A federally sponsored non-need based program that provides funds to students who are enrolled in an eligible program and who agree to teach in a high-need field, at a low-income elementary or secondary school as a highly qualified teacher for at least four years.
  • OTAG (Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant) - A state sponsored program designed to help pay tuition costs for residents of Oklahoma who are enrolled at least half-time and meet federal need requirements.


The William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program allows students to borrow money to help pay for and defer the cost of their college education.  These programs require that all funds be repaid.

First-time borrowers are required to complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN) before the loans can be disbursed.  Exit counseling is also required when a student drops below half-time enrollment or graduates.  You may complete Entrance Counseling, MPN or Exit Counseling electronically via the Student Loans website at https://studentloans.gov.

  • Direct Subsidized Loans are only available to undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA.  The federal government subsidizes the interest on the loan as long as the student is enrolled at least half-time and making satisfactory academic progress.
  • Direct Unsubsidized Loans are available and do not require the student to demonstrate financial need.  The student is still required to complete the FAFSA to be eligible.  The borrower is responsible for the principal and interest from the time the loan is disbursed.
  • Direct PLUS Loans are available as a financial resource to parents of dependent students. The student must meet the general eligibility requirements for federal student aid, but does not have to demonstrate financial need for the parent to be eligible for a PLUS Loan.  A credit history of the parents will be reviewed.  Parents are responsible for repaying the loan.


A scholarship is a type of financial assistance that does not have to be repaid.  Funds are provided through the institution, civic and religious organizations, professional groups, foundations, corporations and cultural groups.  Scholarships are based on academic excellence, personal skills, family affiliations, athletic ability, financial need or other factors.

  1. Institutional Scholarships -  Students who wish to be considered for all institutional scholarships for which they are eligible may simply complete one online application.  The General Scholarship Application is used for all institutional scholarships available at Cameron.  Deadline for priority consideration is February 1st.  To view a complete listing of institutional scholarships please visit http://www.cameron.edu/financial_aid/types/institutional-scholarships2.

  2. Non-Institutional Scholarships - In addition to the General Scholarship Application, we encourage you to apply for as many non-institutional scholarships as you can find. It's free money!  Consider the following sources as you begin your search:
  • foundations, religious or community organizations, local businesses, or civic groups
  • organizations and professional associations related to your field of interest
  • your/your parents' employers
  • ethnicity-based organizations
  • a high school or TRIO counselor
  • Search online, but be careful, make sure scholarship information or offers are legitimate. Remember, you should never have to pay to find scholarships or other financial aid.
  • Be sure to check out the list of available non-institutional scholarship resources on Cameron's Financial Assistance web page.

Tuition Waivers

Tuition waivers are institutional awards that are used to "offset" the amount of tuition owed.  These waivers can be applied against in-state and out-of-state tuition.  Most tuition waivers are awarded based upon high school grade point average, ACT/SAT scores, high school class rank and transfer retention grade point averages.  Award recipients are identified via information garnered from the Application for Admission and the General Scholarship Application.

A tuition waiver for Oklahoma residents waives the designated amount of tuition only and is credited against the in-state tuition rate.  Students are responsible for all fees.  Non-resident and Texas county tuition waivers waive the tuition difference between the in-state and non-resident rate.  These students are responsible for the remaining tuition costs and all fees.

Work Study

Work study is a student employment program that pays students $7.50/hour to work in various positions on campus.  Students can use their work study earnings to help pay for tuition, fees, housing and other expenses.  There are two types of work study available:

    1. Institutionally funded employment requires enrollment in a minimum of 6 credit hours for fall or spring or at least 3 credit hours for summer.
    2. Federally funded employment requires that you meet federal eligibility as determined by the outcome of your FAFSA, and you must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours for fall, spring or summer.

Enrolled students can find open workstudy positions on campus on the Quick Links menu in AggieAccess.

Cameron student

Contact Us

301 North Shepler
2800 W Gore Blvd
Lawton, OK 73505
ph:  (580) 581-2293
ph: (580) 581-2295
fax: (580) 581-2556