Phone: (580) 581-2956
Cameron Library offers a Kindle checkout service to Cameron students, staff and faculty. The library owns four Kindle DX Readers with 9.7” display screens and four standard Kindle Readers with 6" display screens that are pre-loaded with over one hundred historical and literary classics and standardized tests study guides. A Kindle in this document refers to a Kindle package that includes a either Kindle DX reader or standard Kindle reader, a Kindle Power Adapter, a USB cable and a carrying case.
Limits & Availability
- Currently enrolled Cameron students, staff, or faculty may borrow and use the devices.
- Patrons having overdue books or fines are ineligible to use this service.
- An eligible patron is allowed to borrow one Kindle at a time.
- By completing a Kindle E-book Request Form, a patron who wishes to read a book not loaded on a machine may request one $20.00 or less title be loaded onto a machine per semester, provided library funds are available. Please allow up to five days for a request to be processed, depending on kindle availability.
- Borrowers may not delete or copy any existing e-books loaded on a Kindle reader.
- If all Kindles are checked out, a patron may place his or her name and contact information on a Kindle waiting list.
- A patron borrowing a Kindle should read and agree to abide by “Cameron Library Kindle Loan Policy.”
- A patron borrowing a Kindle is required to present a valid Cameron ID card.
- A borrower must sign the Kindle Checkout Agreement before he or she can take a Kindle away from the Circulation Desk.
- At the time of checkout, the Kindle will be inspected by a circulation staff member to make sure it is intact and functioning properly.
- The Kindle will be checked out to the borrower’s Cameron Library account.
Loan Period & Renewals
- The checkout period for each Kindle is fourteen days. All borrowed Kindles must be returned to the circulation desk.
- A borrowed Kindle can be renewed for another fourteen days, given that no other eligible patrons are waiting to borrow it.
- When returning one of the devices, the borrower should allow five minutes for the circulation staff member or a student worker to check the equipment.
- The borrower must return the Kindle to a circulation staff member or a student worker. A Kindle should not be left unattended at the circulation counter.
- A staff member or a student worker will verify that all parts are present and that the Kindle reader and all accessories are in good working order.
The Kindle will then be checked in from the borrower’s library account.
- A Kindle should under no circumstances be returned to a book drop.
Fines & Liability
- A patron's privilege to check out a Kindle may be removed for one semester if the patron fails to return loaned equipment by the due date on more than two occasions or leaves before the check-in procedure is complete.
- A fine of $5.00 per day will be levied for an overdue Kindle.
- After one week an unreturned Kindle will be considered lost. The patron will be billed for replacement fees.
- If an overdue Kindle is returned after one week in good condition, the fees for replacement can be waived, but all overdue fines will remain.
- The borrower is responsible for making sure that the Kindle is in working order and without physical damage at the time of check out.
- In the event of damaged Kindle, a library staff who will determine if damage is the result of normal wear and tear. The borrower will be fiscally responsible for any damage to a Kindle if the responsibility is determined to be his/hers.
- Under no circumstances should a borrower leave the Kindle unattended at the circulation desk. The library will not be responsible for a lost or stolen Kindle at the circulation desk before it is checked in.
- It is the borrower’s full responsibility and fiscal liability for all costs associated with damage to the Kindle or its associated peripheral equipment during the period it is on loan or its replacement costs should it be lost or stolen.
- The replacement fee for a Kindle DX is $329, for a standard Kindle is $139, for a Kindle DX carrying case is $46.28, for a standard Kindle carrying case is $29.99, and for a Kindle Power Adapter and a USB cable are $19.99. The replacement processing fee is $25.
- Library will make all purchases of replacement equipment or parts.
Troubleshooting Problems & Questions
- If patrons experience problems with Kindle hardware or applications or have questions, they should ask a either Reference Librarian or a circulation staff member for assistance.