Cameron University continues its Centennial Celebration with the addition of rarely seen archival photos that can now be viewed in buildings across campus. More than 160 photos depicting CU's illustrious history have been framed and hung throughout CU's administration and classroom buildings, providing a bridge to the past as the university looks ahead to its next one hundred years. Notably, the addition of the historic photos in the Will Rogers Room at the Shepler Center marks the official change in that room's name to the Centennial Room.
"In celebrating Cameron's Centennial throughout this academic year, we wanted to recognize the heritage of Cameron's first hundred years," says Jana Gowan, Director of Community Relations. "Many of these photographs haven't been seen by the general public for decades. Framing them and putting them on display is our way of sharing the university's history with our students, faculty, staff and visitors to campus."
The earliest photograph on display dates to 1908 and depicts construction of CU's first building, with the first cornerstone being laid. Other early pictures include Cameron's first graduating class in 1912, the 1914 men's basketball team, and the 1915 women's basketball team. Aerial views taken in 1927 and 1965 on display in the Centennial Room of the Shepler Center depict the growth undergone by the CU campus during that 42-year period.
Some photographs have been placed at the same location where they were taken. For example, visitors to the Administration building will see a picture of students at the enrollment desk in 1952 hanging adjacent to the original location. Others have been placed thematically, such as a 1937 photograph of CU's marching band, placed on display in the Music Building of the Louise D. McMahon Fine Arts Complex.
October 30, 2008