Every day, people in our community go online to search for things like “hair salon in Lawton,” “dentists in Lawton,” and “best Italian food in Lawton.” If you are a business owner, and your website isn’t showing up on the first page of the search engines for the keyword phrases that are relevant to you, then you are missing out on an enormous source of business. In an effort to assist local businesses learn how to maximize search engine results, Cameron University’s Center for Emerging Technology and Entrepreneurial Studies (CETES) will present “The Anatomy of a Search Engine Optimized Website” featuring Kelly Edwards of Lawton Marketing Group on Tuesday, February 19 at 6 p.m. in Room 207 of CETES. The presentation is open to the public at no charge. To RSVP, call 580-581-5447 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Organic search engine optimization is all about positioning your website to be the one that people find when they are searching for the products and services that you offer. It is incredibly powerful because it’s an opportunity to get your business and your message in front of people at the exact time that they are looking for it. Search engine optimization is a key element of small business marketing strategy due to its cost effectiveness.
During this presentation, Edwards will cover:
- Why Google is the only search engine you need to focus on.
- How Google decides what websites to put in what order on their results pages.
- The top mistakes that prevent websites from showing up on the first page.
- How your website code and content work together to help or hurt your rankings.
- How to analyze what your competitors are doing so you can out-rank them.
- When and why Google changes their ranking criteria and how to make sure your rankings don’t drop.
- How to get your business to show up multiple times and dominate the first page of Google’s results.
- How to know what keyword phrases people are actually searching for in Lawton.
Edwards, co-owner of Lawton Marketing Group, has worked in online marketing for companies ranging from small local businesses to large corporate giants like Jack Daniel’s and Marriott Hotels. Along with her husband, Coby, she opened Lawton Marketing Group, a full-service website development and online marketing firm, in July 2012. The company is part of the business incubator program at CETES.
February 14, 2013