Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educ. Assistance Program (REAP)

What is REAP?

REAP(Chapter 1607 of title 10, U.S. Code) is a new benefit providing educational assistance to members of the reserve components - Selected Reserve (Sel Res) and Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) - who are called or ordered to active service in response to a war or national emergency, as declared by the President or Congress.

The "reserve components" consist of Army Reserve, Naval Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard, Air National Guard, Army IRR, Air Force IRR, Navy IRR and Marine Corps IRR.

"Active Service" is service on active duty or full-time National Guard duty.

Who is Eligible?

Eligibility will be determined by the Department of Defense (DoD) or Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as appropriate. Generally a member of a reserve component who serves on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 under title 10, U.S.C., for at least 90 consecutive days under a contingency operation is eligible for REAP. Note: "Contingency operation" means the current Iraq or Afghanistan operations and may include other operations.

National Guard members are eligible if their active service extends for 90 consecutive days or more and their service is:

  • authorized under section 502(f), title 32, U.S.C.,
  • authorized by the President or Secretary of Defense for a national emergency, and
  • supported by federal funds.

How Long am I Eligible for REAP?

A member called or ordered to active service while serving the Selected Reserve remains entitled to benefits under REAP only by continuing to serve in the Selected Reserve. A member called or ordered to active service from the IRR remains entitled to benefits under REAP by continuing to serve in the Ready Reserve (either SELRES or IRR).

Note 1: A member who is called-up from the Selected Reserve would not remain eligible for REAP if the member goes into the Individual Ready Reserve. The Selected Reserve member must remain in the Selected Reserve to maintain eligibility for REAP.

Note 2: There is no fixed time period for persons eligible under REAP to use this benefit. There is one exception: If a member is separated from the Ready Reserve for a disability which was not the result of the member's own willful misconduct, he or she is entitled to REAP benefits for 10 years after the date of eligibility.

We encourage you to visit the Department of Veteran Affairs' web page for eligibility information and more detailed information on Chapter 1607.

Someone wishing to apply for Chapter 1607 benefits with Cameron University will need to have completed the following:

    1. Provided Official Transcripts of all prior accredited institutions of higher education attended/attending currently to the Cameron University Undergraduate Admissions Office. (This is a requirement for all students using veterans benefits, even if the Admissions Office does not need them for your admission to the university. The reason for this requirement is the Department of Veteran Affairs requires the CU-VA Office to officially report all prior credit completed at other higher educational institutions.) For additional information visit Cameron's Undergraduate Admission's web site.

      *Graduate students would need to provide official transcripts to Cameron Graduate Admissions Office. (See Graduate Studies for more information.)

      Students must be admitted to Cameron University before the CU-VA will proceed with processing a student's paperwork for veterans benefits.

    2. Either an Application for educational benefits VA Form 22-1990 or a request for Change of Program or Place of Training, VA Form 22-1995 - completed. IMPORTANT: The CU-VA office is required to maintain a student file for everyone using veterans benefits. Any VA form should be processed through the CU-VA office for purposes of checking for correctness & completeness; as well as to provide the CU-VA with basic information if a problem should arise. For students within state we recommend contacting our office for free preprinted forms to ensure completion of the correct forms, but VA forms may be accessed through:

  1. Each student must submit a copy of their Notice of Basic Eligibility, DD Form 2384 with either their application or change of program/place. The reserve unit will give a written notice of basic eligibility to each reservist who meet the basic eligibility requirements by using the DD Form 2384, Selected Reserve Education Assistance Program (GI Bill®) Notice of Basic Eligibility, which is often abbreviated as NOBE. A photocopy of this form is acceptable for submission to VA. REMEMBER: All forms need to be processed through the CU-VA before forwarding paperwork to VA Muskogee. 

Pay Status

To be considered a full-time student by VA for undergraduate students: you must be enrolled in at least 6 hours of 8 week courses each 8 week term or 12 hours of 16 week courses for the semester. For graduate students you must be in 9 hours of graduate level 16 week courses, or 4 hours of graduate level 8 week courses each 8 weeks, or consecutively meeting 3 hours 4 weekend courses (with no breaks between weekend meeting dates).

Mixtures of courses with different lengths requires special attention and advice. Graduate Assistantship's will not count toward your VA pay status.

Note: The university considers a full-time student for the whole semester DIFFERENTLY than the VA for payment purposes!!

With the exception of Chapter 31 all less than half-time students will be paid automatically in a lump sum.

Contact the CU-VA for information concerning your VA payment status. VA Educational Benefits are non-taxable.

See Current Rate Tables

Special Tips & Information for Reserve students

  1. A change in your class schedule may affect your VA benefits. Frequent changes often can cause a student to have an overpayment of benefits. Frequent changes of schedule may also delay your certification process, especially if non-required courses for your approved VA Educational Objective are taken.
  2. For additional benefit usage information see appropriate pages under CU-VA Student Information in the menu.