Stay calm, listen attentively, show your support and express your desire to help.
Reassure the individual that help is available.
Ask directly if the person plans to harm him/her self or others
- If the answer is no
- Encourage the person to go to Counseling Services
- Take the additional step of giving them the phone number
- Let them know that services are free and not tied into their academic records
- If the answer is yes
- During business hours, offer to walk the peron to Counseling Services for a session with a counselor. If they refuse, reassure them that you care about them and want to make sure they are safe. Remember that if they won't seek help and you feel they are a danger to themselves or others, you should call 911
- On campus please call (580) 581-2911 Campus Police
- After business hours (and if the student agrees to seeking help), you may call the Suicide National Hotline 1-800-273-8255. The student will be able to talk with a mental health professional immediately to assess their situation.