Welcome to Cameron Student Housing!
Student Housing at Cameron University is dedicated to providing a quality living experience that complements the academic mission of Cameron University and provides for the holistic development of our residents.
Research shows that students who live on campus:
- Have higher grade point averages
- Have higher persistence rates
- Exhibit greater gains in intellectual and social development
- Are more likely to create their own peer support group outside of the classroom
- Are more involved in activities in and outside of the classroom
- Spend more time on academic activities
- Are more likely to seek help from professors, and other services like tutoring
- Take more responsibility for their own learning
- In the end are typically more satisfied with their college experience
Living on campus makes it easier for residents to be successful. At Cameron University, Student Housing is dedicated to providing the environment and resources to allow our residents to be successful in the classroom, as well as life. We thank you for taking the time to look over our webpage. If you don't find the answer to any of your questions on our page, please don't hesitate to call or email us.
Anticipated REsident Assistant Opening Spring 2019
Student Housing has anticipated openings for Resident Assistant for Spring 2019. If you are interested please look over the job description below and the application procedure. Applications and supporting documents are due October 29th @ 5pm to McMahon Center RM 100. Contact Jacob Newton at email@example.com for any questions.
Info Sessions: October 10 @ 7pm in Wichita Room and October 12th @ 2pm in McMahon Center Classroom.
POSITION: The position of Resident Assistant (RA) within the Department of Student Housing is a live-in position that requires the RA to reside in his/her designated area of responsibility. The RA is responsible for maintaining and fostering a community on a floor of 20-50 residents. The RA works under the immediate supervision of a Hall Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: A Resident Assistant at Cameron University is required to fulfill a diverse set of duties and responsibilities. These said duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to administrative, counseling, programmatic, and policy enforcement.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- A Resident Assistant must have a 2.5 GPA at time of application, and must maintain a 2.5 GPA the entirety of their time as a Resident Assistant.
- The Resident Assistant must maintain full time academic status throughout the entire contract year to be considered in good academic standing and to keep their position in Cameron Student Housing.
- The Resident Assistant must be able to work with a diverse group of students in a Residence Hall environment, and have high resolve in finding solutions to difficult situations.
- The Resident Assistant must have good time management skills, and must maintain a high level of visibility and availability to residents.
- The Resident Assistant must demonstrate superior leadership skills.
- Resident Assistants must work a pre-determined desk shift, and must be on call as needed by designated Hall Director.
- Resident Assistants will be required to plan and execute several social, educational, and passive programs throughout the academic year.
- A Resident Assistant must be of strong mind and will. The Resident Assistant position requires high levels of adaptability and responsibility. Resident Assistants deal with a variety of student issues on a daily basis and must have the knowledge, maturity, empathy, and understanding to help student navigate these issues.
- Resident Assistants will also serve an essential role in policy enforcement. Resident Assistants must develop and maintain a good working knowledge of housing policy and be prepared to enforce these policies fairly across the board.
- Resident Assistants must be observant and sensitive to issues going on in the hall and be proactive in resolving them before they turn into major concerns.
- Resident Assistants must demonstrate a high level of professionalism, promote scholarship, and serve as an advocate for Cameron Student Housing.
- Preference will be given to individuals who have lived in Cameron Student Housing for at least one semester prior to applying.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: To be considered, applicants will download and complete the Cameron student employment application, submit a current resume, three professional references (optional), current transcript, and a short answer to each of the following questions:
- How long have you lived in Student Housing?
- Why do you want to be a Resident Assistant?
- What is an issue you see in Student Housing? How would you address it?
- What other activities are you involved in on campus? How will this impact your role as a Resident Assistant?
All of these materials must be typed and returned to:
Student Housing Office
McMahon Learning Center
Your application will NOT be complete until all required materials are turned into the Student Housing Office.
- Info Sessions (Optional) - October 10 @ 7pm in Wichita Room and October 12 @ 2pm in McMahon Center Classroom.
- Applications will be accepted until October 29th @ 5pm.
- Notifications for Group Process will go out November 1st.
- Group Process will be November 3rd @ 9am.
- Notifications for Individual Interviews will go out November 3rd.
- RA Shadowing November 5th & 6th. (Must be available to shadow a RA on rounds one of those days)
- Individual Interviews will be held November 7th & 8th.
- Offer will be given November 12th.
- All Resident Assistants and Alternates are required to be at RA Training. RA Spring Training will take place the week before the Spring Semester starts.
For any questions, please contact Jacob Newton at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 580-581-5907.
RA Of The Month
Each month Student Housing will be taking nominations for RA of the Month. If you see a RA doing an exceptional job please take a couple minutes to let us know about it.
Housing Contact Information
McMahon Center, Room 111
502 SW University Dr.
Lawton, OK 73505
8am-5pm (580) 581-2392
5pm-8am (580) 581-2391
Office Hours: M-F 8am-5pm
Check Out Student Housing on Social Media!!
The Office of Student Housing serves its residents by providing a quality living-learning environment that supports the educational and academic mission of Cameron University. We work to foster an environment that promotes inclusion, involvement and responsibility.