Welcome to Cameron University, where we are dedicated to the educational, cultural and economic advancement of the communities we serve.
The 2014-15 academic year brings excitement and exceptional learning opportunities to Cameron students as well as to the citizens of southwest Oklahoma and beyond. This year, in keeping with Plan 2018: Values Driven, Action Oriented, our five-year strategic plan, we will continue our focus on student learning and student success with initiatives to improve persistence and degree completion rates while maintaining or increasing already high academic standards. The initiatives are grouped around five themes:
- Access: Cameron University will continue to improve the first-year experience offered through the Office of Teaching and Learning, including the addition of a Study Skills Laboratory. We will also introduce a new software tool to help prospective students through admissions processes.
- Affordability: We will continue to increase our commitment to the affordability of a college degree through increased student scholarships and tuition waivers, competitive housing and board costs for campus resident students, and competitive tuition and mandatory fee rates.
- Accountability: We are committed to improving our institutional retention and graduation rates. Several initiatives including participation in the Higher Learning Commission’s Persistence and Completion Academy are already in progress. As it has been four years since our last institutional accreditation visit, we will undertake an institutional assurance check to evaluate our progress and preparation for our next accreditation visit in 2020.
- Attainment: We will continue two initiatives, Graduation Starts Today and We Want You Back, in order to give all of our students the best possible prospects to complete the degrees, certificates, or course packages they have chosen. Additionally, we are increasing opportunities for participation in undergraduate research, civic engagement, and other high-impact experiences.
- Engagement: Cameron University’s 2014-2015 Academic Festival will examine “Sustainability: Challenges and Opportunities.” This yearlong symposium, held every three years, will feature nationally recognized speakers as they address the topic from a variety of perspectives including food and agricultural practices; water and natural resources; sustainability in communities; and practicing a sustainable lifestyle. For schedule and ticket information, I refer you to the Academic Festival webpage. The Academic Festival is just one of the many activities that connects Cameron to our community.
Throughout Cameron’s website, you will find information about academics, athletics, student activities, campus life, cultural events, and more, providing you with a glimpse of what our university is about. I invite you to visit our campuses in Lawton and Duncan or contact us by phone or email to explore the numerous opportunities that Cameron provides.
Thank you for visiting our website. I hope to see you on campus soon.